Tuesday 3 February 2015

HOW THE JOURNEY BEGAN


The year was 2011. It was January. 17th January to be precise. That is when I received my very first engagement as an Inspirational speaker. It was at St. Paul’s High school. And they paid me 2000. The principal had seen me present at the Bomas of Kenya during the annual student leaders’ conference and gave me her number. I didn’t know that was to be the debut of my speaking career.

So, with all the tools of the trade, I headed to the school that afternoon and passed the fire, a point at a time. Many clapped, some wondered, some reflected, some wrote. I was only 18 then. Come the second term, the students requested I come again. I did. But before they sat for their KCSE, I was there again. In fact, by then, I had known almost all finalist students. But in March 2, 2012, while seated at a conference in Kisumu, I received an unusual call. Since I was keen on following the proceedings, I ignored the call. But it came again and again. I sprang from my seat, and found my way out. It was Madam Rebecca, the principal. The school has moved from a MSS of 5.92 to 7.7851, she said on phone. “I think you did a good job”, she added. We will invite you again. 

But since I was not keen on what she was saying, I rushed back to catch up with the Mathematics Models conference. That is when something came to my mind. Why could a whole principal call me hat much? Why did she say I had a hand in their progress? Why invite me again? Was I that impactful? It was then that I realized what motivation can do. Frankly, they inivited me to their prize award but I didn’t go. They sent me the gift. 


One evening in August 2012, walking in Keroka, I met a couple of students from the school. They recognized me. I had forgotten their names. “You really made us become better people. Where can we get your book?” they asked. I have some copies. I was now 400 shillings richer after handing hem two books. It was then that I realized how a word well aimed at somebody can change a life. I decided to pursue the goal and to date. I have never regretted. I have earned it. I am a speaker, an inspirational one. And God’s grace has been sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment